Vietnam has a great railway system with a variety of types of train, some luxurious, running along over 2,600 km of track. The majority of the train tracks are on the Reunification Line between Ho Chi Minh City (also known as Sai Gon) and Ha Noi. Vietnam is a long and thin country and the train journey from Ho Chi Minh City to Ha Noi takes 31 to 24 hours depending upon which train you take.
As well as travel on the reunification other popular journeys include travel from Ha Noi to Lao Cai for bus services to Sa Pa, travel from Ha Noi to the coastal town of Hai Phong and there is a connection point to the Chinese Railway Network at Dong Dang in the North of the Country. There are also plans to connect the Vietnam Railway Network to the Thai and Malaysian Railway networks via Cambodia at some point in the future as part of the Chinese led Pan Asia Railway Network project linking Kumming in Southern China to Singapore via Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur.
Buy Vietnam Train Tickets
Use the Search Box below to buy your Vietnam train tickets.
Train Lines in Vietnam
Vietnam has 11 passenger train railway lines currently in service:
- Reunification Line: running 1,726 km from Ho Chi Minh City to Ha Noi.
- The Ha Noi to Lao Cai line: running 296 km via Yen Bai this is the connection point between the railway network and highland areas such as Sa Pa.
- Ha Noi to Dong Dang: This service connects the Vietnam Railway Network to China Trains 163 km
- Kep to Ha Long: a 106 km railway line to the Ha Long town near the famous Ha Long bay.
- Ha Noi to Hai Phong: a 102 km railway line from Ha Noi to the coastal town of Hai Phong.
- Ha Noi to Thai Nguyen: a 75 km train line running due North from Ha Noi.
- Thai Nguyen to Kep: a useful 57 km rail line that connects Thai Nguyen to Kep from where you can then take a train to Ha Long bay.
- Pho Lu to Xuan Giao: an 11 km branch line off the Ha Noi to Lao Cai line.
- Tien Kien to Bai Bang: 10.5 km branch line
- Da Lat to Trai Mat: 7 km branch line off the Reunification Line.
- Tien Kien to Lam Thao: 4.1 km branch line.