The journey by train from Kuala Lumpur to Phuket has three stages:
- Stage 1: Train from Kuala Lumpur to Padang Besar.
- Stage 2: Train from Padang Besar to Surat Thani.
- Stage 3: Bus from Surat Thani to Phuket.
Stage 1: Kuala Lumpur to Padang Besar
- There are currently 3 trains a day from Kuala Lumpur to Padang Besar which you can book online.
|Train||Kuala Lumpur||Padang Besar||Service|
- Buy train tickets from Kuala Lumpur to Padang Besar.
Stage 2: Padang Besar to Surat Thani
- There is 1 direct train per day from Padang Besar to Surat Thani in Thailand.
|Padang Besar||Surat Thani||Train||Service|
- Buy train tickets from Padang Besar to Surat Thani.
* These train times are in Thai time which is 1 hour behind Malaysian time. This means that the train to Surat Thani departs at 18:00 in Malaysian time.
Stage 3: Surat Thani to Phuket
- There is 1 direct bus service per day from Surat Thani Railway Station to Phuket which you can book online.
|07:30||12:00||Phantip Travel||200 THB|
- Buy bus tickets from Surat Thani Railway Station to Phuket.
Kuala Lumpur Railway Station
- The journey by train to Phuket starts at KL Sentral Station.
Padang Besar Railway Station
- See more information about Padang Besar Railway Station which is the interchange station between Malaysian and Thai railway services.
Surat Thani Railway Station
- See more information about Surat Thani Railway Station which is where you board the bus to Phuket.
Phuket Bus Station
- Bus services from Surat Thani Railway Station terminate at Phuket Bus Terminal 2 which is 4 km to the north of Phuket Town.
About Travel in Phuket
Phuket Bus Terminal 2 is a long distance bus terminal with no local transport services other than expensive taxis to other destinations on the island. The cheapest and easiest way to travel from Phuket Bus Terminal 2 is to take the shared taxi service which runs frequently from 06:00 to 20:00 to Phuket Bus Terminal 1. Phuket Bus Terminal 1 is a major hub for local transport services. Shared minivan services to Patong Beach depart from Phuket Bus Terminal 1 every hour from 07:00 to 18:00 and cost 50 THB.
- The shared taxi service from Phuket Bus Terminal 2 to Phuket Bus Terminal 1 departs every 20 minutes from Platform 12 in Phuket Bus Terminal 2 and the cost is 15 THB per person.
For travel to the islands of Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta you need to take a taxi or motorbike taxi from Phuket Bus Terminal 1 to Rassada Pier, which is only 3.3 km to the south east of Phuket Bus Terminal 1.