To travel by train from Johor Bahru to Ipoh you need to change trains at Gemas Railway Station. If you take the right trains you can complete the journey in 9 hours 44 minutes.
Train 1: Johor Bahru to Gemas
- There are 4 trains a day from Johor Bahru to Gemas.
|19:15||00:03||26||Ekspress Rakyat Timuran|
- Buy train tickets from Johor Bahru to Gemas
Train 2: Gemas to Ipoh
- There are 2 trains a day from Gemas to Ipoh.
- Buy train tickets from Gemas to Ipoh
Buy Train Tickets to Ipoh
Use the Search Box below to buy your tickets from Johor Bahru to Ipoh.
Johor Bahru Railway Station
- JB Sentral Station is the main railway station in Johor Bahru and the terminus for shuttle services from Singapore.
Gemas Railway Station
- See more information about Gemas Railway Station.
Ipoh Railway Station
- See more information about Ipoh Railway Station.
Things to do in Ipoh
Ipoh’s main tourist attractions can be divided into two groups by locations: the city centre attractions and the out of town attractions. In terms of things to do and see in the city centre, the main attraction is the Old Town area. From the 1880 through the mid-1980s Ipoh was a thriving economic centre made rich on the mining and trade of tin ore deposits discovered in the surrounding area. The British colonial government invested a lot of money into public buildings in Ipoh, most notably its magnificent railway station, High Court and Town Hall. The trade in tin also attracted private business investors and lots of immigrants, particularly from China and India. All these visitors left their mark on Ipoh most noticeably in the form of distinctive architecture. The most lasting influence has been from the Chinese settlers, and their heritage has been highlighted as one of the major draws for visitors to the city. For instance, a walk down the excitingly named Concubine Lane offers visitors the opportunity to visit old fashioned shops and restaurants offering an insight into how local people used to live. More recently a series of murals by well known artist Ernest Zacharevic has been created in random locations across the Old Town creating another attraction for visitors to the city.
Ipoh is surrounded by limestone hills which as well as being rich in tin ore are also rich in culture. Early Chinese migrants included monk who founded temples in the naturally occurring caves of these hills, the most famous of which are Sam Poh Tong Temple, Ling Sen Tong Temple and Kek Lok Tong Cave Temple. You can reach these cave temples by local bus but most visitors use their own vehicles or take a taxi. Also of interest are:
- Gua Tambun Cave Paintings: 3,000 year old cave paintings discovered in 1959.
- Gua Tempurung: Large cave, parts of which have been made easily accessible with walkways and lighting.
- Gaharu Tea Valley Gopeng: Large tea plantation open to the public.
- Royal Belum State Park Perak: Ancient forest fill of wildlife.