There are three different way to get from Langkawi to Thailand:
- By ferry to Satun in Thailand.
- By ferry to Koh Lipe in Thailand.
- By ferry to Kuala Kedah in Malaysia, and then by train from nearby Alor Setar to Padang Besar on the border with Thailand.
If you are planning to travel from Langkawi onward in Thailand by train then the best option is to take the ferry to Kuala Kedah and then a train from Alor Setar to Padang Besar.
Buy Train Times from Alor Setar to Padang Besar
There are currently 5 direct train services a day from Alor Setar to Padang Besar.
|Train||Alor Setar||Padang Besar||Service|
Buy Train Tickets from Alor Setar to Padang Besar
Use the Search Box below to buy your train tickets from Alor Setar to Padang Besar.
Alor Setar Railway Station
Alor Setar Railway Station is 12.0 km by road from Kuala Kedah Jetty which is the arrival point for ferries from Langkawi.
Padang Besar Railway Station
Padang Besar Railway Station is located on the border with Thailand.
Travel from Padang Besar Thailand
Padang Besar is the interchange station with Thailand’s Railway network. There are three trains a day you can take from Padang Besar Railway Station in Malaysia to Hat Yai in Thailand. Hat Yai is a major transport hub with 5 trains a day to Bangkok and bus services to destinations across Southern and Central Thailand
- Train times from Padang Besar to Hat Yai:
|Train||Padang Besar||Hat Yai||Service|
- NB: Departure times are in Malaysian time and arrival times are in Thailand Time, which is 1 hour behind (-1) Malaysia Time.
There is also a single direct train service from Padang Besar which travels direct to Bangkok with stops at large train stations on route.
|Train||Padang Besar||Surat Thani||Hua Hin||Bangkok|
- Surat Thani is the connection point between the railway network and ferry services to Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.
- Buy train tickets from Padang Besar to Surat Thani.
- Hua Hin is a major beach resort town and the departure point for ferry services to Eastern Thailand via Pattaya.
- Buy train tickets from Padang Besar to Hua Hin.
- Bangkok is the largest city in Thailand and the connection point for train services to the North, North East and East of Thailand including the border with Cambodia and the border with Laos.
- Buy train tickets from Padang Besar to Bangkok.