Gemas Railway Station is an important Malaysian train station located in the small town of Gemas (pronounced as ‘ghee-mas‘) in the far eastern part of Negeri Sembilan in West Malaysia.
Although Gemas Railway Station is located in an isolated part of the country that few people visit for the purposes of tourism a lot of tourists and other travellers pass through Gemas Railway Station because it is the connection point between West Malaysia’s two major intercity train lines.
Gemas Train Station
Gemas Railway Station is a large modern train station constructed in 2012 to accommodate the newly electric train servicess running on the West Coast railway line. Next to Gemas Railway Station is the original Gemas Railway Station first opened in 1922 but has been left to decay since the newer building was opened.
From Gemas Railway Station there are trains travelling in three directions:
- West to Kuala Lumpur and onto Padang Besar on the border with Thailand.
- North to Tumpat with stops on route including Jerantut (for connections to Taman Negara National Park) and Wakaf Bharu (near to Kota Bharu).
- South to Johor Bharu for connecting services to Singapore.
Train times to Kuala Lumpur
There are 2 daily trains services from Gemas Kuala Lumpur.
Train times to Kuala Johor Bharu
There are 4 daily trains services from Gemas to Johor Bharu.
Train times to Padang Besar
There is 1 daily trains services from Gemas Padang Besar.
Buy Train Tickets Online
Use the Search Box below to buy train tickets to and from Gemas Railway Station:
Facilities at Gemas Railway Station
Gemas Railway Station itself has very facilities. Inside the main station building there are toilets and an air-conditioned waiting area, but no refreshments of any kind and people arriving into the station after taking the overnight train from Wakaf Bharu to Gemas will be disappointed that there is nowhere in the station where you can buy even a cup of coffee.
Gemas Railway Station is, however, close to a cluster of shops and food outlets which you can walk to:
- Convenience store: A branch of 7-Eleven is located 160 metres walking distance to the north of Gemas Railway Station.
- Restaurant/Cafe: The closest eat-in restaurant to Gemas Railway Station is Curry Point, which is a 250 metre walk away to the north west. Curry Point serves very cheap Indian-Malay food along with hot drinks such as coffee and tea. Curry Point opens from 08:00.
- Hotel: The closest hotel to Gemas Railway Station is the Hotel Tropicana, which is 350 metres walking distance to the north west of Gemas Railway Station.
Buying Tickets at the Station
There are three ticket counters inside Gemas Railway Station, only one of which is normally open. The ticket counters are upstairs inside the main station building near the waiting area and the toilets.
Tickets for all services are available, however, for long distance travel, particularly sleeper berths on the service northward on the East Coast (Jungle) Railway Line we recommend booking in advance.
Transport to Gemas Railway Station
Gemas Railway Station is not well served by public transport. Taxis operate from in front of the station, although there are relatively few of these compared to other major major train stations in West Malaysia. The best option is to board another train to leave Gemas and alight at a different station for more bus and taxi services. To reach Melaka (Malacca) from Gemas Railway Station the best option is take one of the two daily trains heading towards Kuala Lumpur as far as Pulau Sebang/Tampin Railway Station and from there travel by bus or taxi to Melaka city.
For bus services you need to walk 450 metres to the north west of Gemas Railway Station to the Stesen Bas & Teksi Gemas. Bus services operate from the Stesen Bas & Teksi Gemas to Segamat and Tampin. Once you get to Tampin there are fairly regular bus services that go to Melaka.